Thursday, March 21, 2013

Sawyer Bennett - Off Sides

  


“I'm not sure what possessed me to do it. Maybe it was the impossible expectations I faced, maybe it was my own self-loathing. But I just knew I needed something different to happen. I needed someone...something...to derail me from my current path. Otherwise, I would become lost...a hollowed out shell of a man. So I did it. I approached her, then I pursued her, then I made her mine. And my life was saved...”

Ryan Burnham is the privileged son of a U.S. Congressman and captain of his university’s hockey team. While he is on the verge of fulfilling his dreams to play in the NHL, his parents want him on a different course. One he is expected to accept for the sake of his family’s public image.

Forced her to abandon her music career after the heart breaking death of her parents, Danny Cross exists on the opposite side of the tracks from Ryan. She is struggling to make her own way, working two jobs, attending college part time and volunteering in a homeless shelter. She is on a mission to build her own success.

With a chance meeting, their vastly different worlds collide, causing each to evaluate whether they are truly on the correct path to self-fulfillment and happiness. Can their relationship survive? Particularly when others are against them every step of the way. A lot can happen in just ten short days..


WOW.. I was sooo not expecting much from this book... but did it not disappoint.  Off Sides by Sawyer Bennett is my first YA (Youth Adult) book that I've read. I usually try to stay away from these as they don't hold my interest or up to my scale on the sexy love scene's, but the further I got into Off Sides.. the more I liked it. 
Ryan is a college hotty tottie with lots of money with snobby parents & younger sister. He is as well the captain of the Northeastern College NCAA hockey team and runs with his frat boys. One day while drunk and ending his night from a frat party.. they all stumble into a diner where he meets the funky, adorable and sassy waitress, Danny. Danny is brought into the story with knocking a snobby girl down a peg or ten and immeditably becomes the interest and infatuation of Ryan. 
This book is about opposites attract, two people that come from completely different worlds - and to be honest, more than any story than I've ever read. It shows the restrains and complications that they have to go through to be together. The way fellow peers will put down and demolish things they don't agree with or they might not have the balls to reach for themselves. 

I loved through this story how much Ryan sticks up for Danny and hurts for her when someone puts her down... but what I also enjoyed was how much she opens his eyes and views things he had never seen or even knew was going on around him. It also makes you think how many times these hot-preppy-too much money guys infatuate or are attracted to girls "beneath them", the rougher crowd.. and how much they actually do want them, yet are too afraid to even bother - unlike Ryan who sees's something that he wants, and although has a hard time with it and puts with a lot of shit for it, goes for what he wants.

The first time Ryan and Danny have sex.. is one of the most intense, sweetest love scenes I think I've ever read. Yes, there are definitely books that have more vulgar-ness and spicy love scenes.. but in Off Sides - I love how Sawyer Bennete writes the scene back and forth between Ryan and Danny narrating... it was simply amazing.

There are twists and turns through out the story that you would never expect and at one part I wanted to cry for Danny so much.. and wave my hands in the air proud of Ryan and his take control and take care of business attitude!

I actually enjoyed this book a lot and recommend it 

4 STARS!  

No comments:

Post a Comment